☻Online Speech Workshops☻
FOR LD or PF DEBATE-SPECIFIC WRITING WORKSHOPS, CLICK HERE INSTEAD!
FOR EDUCATIONAL IMMERSION PROGRAMS, CLICK HERE INSTEAD!
FOR THE COMPETITIVE SPEECH PROGRAM, SCROLL BELOW.
Have a productive holiday by joining one of our speech workshops!
Mon to Thu, 27-30 December 2021
Start the 2022 season with an edge on the competition!
4 days long
These aren't class lectures, these are workshop sessions focused on preparing students in their selected speech events
☻Students are expected to work on their own when not with a coach
☻Each student will get at least an hour in time a day with a coach, up to the student to take the notes and come back showing progress for more notes
Platform/Interp Rule: Pieces must be memorized at bare minimum.
Limited Prep Rule: Students will only be working Extemp, these students should already know extemp structure and at most need a reminder/refresh on how it works
Camp Goal: Every student will come out with the IE event tournament Ready (Memorized, Characterized, Intro, Gestures)
Interp Speech Workshop Syllabus
☻Day 1 - Status Update
- Perform for coach to create a baseline of what needs to be worked on
- Begin working with students on individual sessions, should be focused on what they need to improve most: Characters, Blocking or Polish
☻Day 2 - Character Focus
- Make sure characters in students pieces are complete with a unique quality/quirk about them layered throughout the performance
- Work on relationship the character has with others in the piece, this details how the characters within the performance communicate with each other
☻Day 3 - Environment Focus
- Blocking will be layered in this day
- We will add extra elements into the scenes for interaction for the character
- Students will need to work on this the most on their own once set by the instructor, progress is necessary for more layering
☻Day 4 - Tournament Polish
- Making sure intention to lines are there
- Ensuring things look “clean” for performance
- Making it so students know how to start and end a piece with command
By the end of the lesson, students will have their pieces updated for competition readiness, students will receive an infusion of blocking (brand new ideas or layered on to what already exists), and if students show they have progressed exponentially, coach discretion to give out another piece, but it will not be worked on during this camp.
Platform Speech Workshop Syllabus
☻Day 1 & 2 - Rewrites
- Students will share their pieces with the coach (upload speech to form)
- Students will perform their speeches for the coach
- Coach will determine what rewrites need to be completed
- Students will find the new evidence needed for their rewrites
- All rewrites must be approved by the end of Day 2
☻Day 3 & 4*
Day 3 is spent memorizing the changes to the speech
- If less than 30% changed, can do it in the 3.5-hour day
- If more than 30% changed, will take the 2 days to memorize
Day 4 is spent working on delivery of the speech
- Hand gestures
- Vocal variation
- Overall presence
0-20% rewritten script could be ready by the end of the 4-days tournament ready as long as the student memorizes.
20% or more could only be a guaranteed tournament ready SCRIPT/SPEECH.
*This doesn’t guarantee we can work with your students on delivery, the primary focus is making sure the speech is structurally ready to compete, once there delivery would be the next focus but cannot be confirmed until a student shows memorization and a finalized speech by the coach.
Limited Prep Speech Workshop Syllabus
☻Students will work on a shared group of articles
- Assigned to students based on coach discretion
☻1st half of day
- Students will research and each give speech
- Feedback from coach will be given with an attempted re-doing of a section
☻2nd half of day
- Students will teach each other the content learned from the 1st half research, sharing articles
Pre-Requisites for speech workshops:
Students must have learned the basics of speech, so at the least they should have previously been enrolled in new beginner speech.
If platform, you MUST upload your speech onto the registration form for the coaches to review beforehand.
To learn about the difference between the speech events, click here.
Note: We will accept the first 12 students who enroll.
Schedule, choose between:
8:30 AM-12:00 PM
OR 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
($50 OFF early bird available until Dec 22nd)
Use code GSASPEECH50 at checkout to avail the discount
Please only register for this class if you have taken debate before.